Monday, May 23, 2011

Week 21 (May 21st - May 27th) | Picture 34

This week was a challenge. My child is going through a fairly significant sleep regression, and we will be out of town for the second half of the week. To say that I haven't thought of anything to do here is an understatement.

I use Flickr for a lot of my inspiration. Usually, I use it for ideas and then try to recreate something a little different. This week, I didn't do much different (well, unless you consider creating a much worse version the different part).

Inspiration image here. Be sure to check out some of his other pictures while you are there - his work is quite impressive.

I thought the tilt was fun and I happened to have some food coloring and some really strong tape to hold down my glasses. (Warning: Do not attempt with your great-grandmother's fine crystal. I used my husband's cheap pilsner glasses.)



Camera: Nikon D700
Lens: 28 - 75mm f/2.8 (@55mm)
Aperture: f/4.5
Shutter Speed: 1/200
ISO: 200
Flash: Flash: SB-800 off camera, manual, 1/4th power
Exposure: manual

To start with, my composition is all wrong. My glasses are way too far apart so I had to use a panoramic crop to make it "work." It still doesn't work, but trust me this crop ratio is much better than the SOOC ratio. My light is wrong. It's uneven and the glasses are too lit, lacking shadows and depth. Even the glasses themselves are wrong. They were on a somewhat flimsy surface (a plastic lid to a storage container) so when they were tilted they weren't all level. I could go on and on about what I did wrong. But it's still a cool effect, and it's definitely all I'm going to be shooting and posting this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos are protected under copyright. Powered by Blogger.