Saturday, April 23, 2011

Week 17 (April 23rd - April 29th) | Pictures 28 & 29

I decided to go back to some OCF this week. I've been really focusing on macros lately and haven't played with my artificial lighting much.

The more I take pictures, the more I realize that light is easily 95% - or more - of what makes a good picture, regardless of the subject. Be it natural or artificial (I love both and have a long way to go before I master either), light will make or break an otherwise perfect image.

I wanted to do something high key this week. It's probably high key enough that it wouldn't print well, but it was nice to do something really bright for a change.

I tried the glass with some white wine in it and it killed the effect. The wine was in the glass looked okay, it was the background that didn't work. The wine was diffusing the light enough that the background had a large shadow on it. This would have been a perfect time to use 2 lights - the primary light for the glass and then a second light used as a fill. So that was a big failure, but the wine made some tiny bubbles when I poured it and I did like how those pictures came out.

The glass, sans wine:



The bubbles:



Camera: Nikon D700 (settings identical for both images)
Lens: 105mm f/2.8 macro
Aperture: f/5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/250
ISO: 200
Flash: Flash: SB-800 off camera, manual, 1/8th power
Exposure: manual

Setup was a speedlight shot through a white umbrella at a 45 degree angle, white poster board for a background, and a white piece of foam core as a reflector to help light the far side of the background. Setup picture here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All photos are protected under copyright. Powered by Blogger.